Craving of something delicious but cannot go to eat out due to lockdown? So here is the recipe of south Indian special Aloo Masala that you can easily make at your home by staying safe and, yet, you will get to overcome your cravings.
And It’s no wrong to say that the laughter is brightest where food is at its best. We all crave something spicy, zesty, and easy to cook; that’s what Aloo Masala is all about. It’s a bowl full of indulging colors and soft mashed potatoes. You can serve this tantalizing dish with dosa.
This dish has grabbed its importance from the whole sub-continent and eventually became dinning’s favorite dish. People of the sub-continent loved to experiment with potatoes, and they ended up creating this fantastic meal.
Its rising aroma on special occasions is what people loved about it. Its unique taste and smell are everyone’s favorite. In addition to that it’s easy to cook and yummy to eat…!
Let’s Cook Aloo Masala
What makes Aloo Masala favorite among everyone is perfectly mashed potatoes with savory toppings of coriander and multi-colored spices that makes it even more mouthwatering.Let’s have a look into ingredients and quick and easy recipe.
Serving (4-5 person)
- 1¼ pound potatoes, boil until tender enough to be pierced or cut easily with a fork.
- Add 2tbsps. Of vegetable oil (canola oil) or ghee. Adding ghee would add a delicious buttery flavor to your lunchtime meal.
- Two teaspoon mustard seeds
- Two teaspoon cumin seeds
- Pinch Asafetida (optional)
- ¼ tablespoon urad dal (optional)
- 5 or 6 curry leaves, or the zest of 1 lime
- ¼ cup of hot chilies( jalapeno or Serrano), roughly chopped
- Two medium onion, roughly chopped
- Two teaspoon ground TurmericSalt
- 6 or 7 sprigs of cilantro, roughly chopped, plus extra leaves for garnish
How to Prepare Spiced Potato Masala
A perfect healthy dish for your family that can be prepared to overcome the terrible stomach growls. Despite its flavor taste, its garnishing makes it ten times more attractive.
Aloo Masala Prepration
1. Lightly mash the potatoes by using a smasher or your hands. You can also use a fork to do this step if you like, don’t mash them so much.
2. In a cooking pan, heat the oil in high flame until it gets to shimmer.
3. Add the mustard seeds when the oil is hot. Once they start to pop, add the cumin seeds, asafetida, and urad dal. Stir continuously to keep everything moving, and cook well until getting pleasant aroma and turning to brown – just for 1 minute to 2 minutes.
4. Stir the curry leaves and chopped chilies, and continue the stirring for another 25 seconds.
5. Add the chopped onion, turmeric, and two big pinches of salt, and stir well. Continue cooking, stir the onion continuously to get soft and brown color
6. Now add the potatoes, along with ¼ cup of water. Gently stir the potatoes with spices and onion to get coat well, then cover the lid and let it cooks for few minutes and get mixed with the flavor
7. Off the flame, and gently stir with chopped coriander.
8. Give a better taste by adding more salt or some spices as desired. Serve the dish, into a dose, and garnish with the coriander leaves.
This was the traditional recipe of Aloo Masala used my most of the people around the world. But this dish can be prepared by using different spices and techniques.
Every cook of this recipe cooks it according to what their taste buds like. So, there is a world beyond the sky, so go and create Aloo masala just according to your wish.
Wrapping it up
Even if you’re not a cooking expert, you can still prepare this conveniently prepared and lovingly eaten food by following this simple recipe from the ingredients right from your kitchen.
So, what are you waiting for? Grab your aprons and prepare your own Aloo Masala and never hesitate to experiment with different spices and colors as it makes it even tastier and nothing else.
Have you tried this recipe before? What’s your favorite Potato recipe? If you love this recipe, do mention your feedback in the comments section below. Also try our scrumptious Palak Paneer Recipe.
Also, don’t forget to rate Aloo Masala recipe! You can also follow Kitchen Desi on Facebook and Instagram for more delicious and tasty meals from our kitchen!